Well today I made my first batch of melt and pour soap. I have been wanting to try this for quite a while, however, I just finally managed to get all of my ingredients purchased from Bulk Apothecary, a couple of weeks ago. Though I realized once I got it all in, the molds that I ordered made a total of six bars at once, and for a first try I really didn’t want to attempt that much for my first go around. So I ran down to Hobby Lobby and found three small molds that were about 2 1/2 inches square by about 1 inch deep, that I thought would be perfect for a first attempt.
So here is my first attempt, down for the record books.
I started with one pound blocks of the melt and pour bases of All Natural Shea Butter, Cocoa Butter, and Clear Glycerin.
I cut about a 1/4 inch slice off of the end of each block, and cut each slice into about six pieces. Place them all into a microwave safe bowl and zapped for about 30 seconds, stirring in between each heating.
Next, I added a small piece of red soap color pigment, which comes in a package about the size of a page of wax scent melts. It was about an 1/8 of an inch sized piece, added it to the mix and stirred until it was almost completely melted. I decided to go ahead and give the mixture another zap in the microwave to fully melt it all.
Once everything was fully melted, I added about 40 drops plus 1 tsp of both Vanilla and Coconut Essential Oils, and about 2 tsp of Coconut oil and stirred the mixture to thoroughly incorporate all of the oils. Then I poured into two molds and let set.
So here is the final product. I still have yet to try my new soap, but that will be my next test. I will let you know my thoughts, when I do!